market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pasture chicken run and racoons

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pasture chicken run and racoons
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 11:38:47 -0400

We got a cheap electric fence charger, screwed electric fence insulators to the bottom of the frame about 3 inches (above mowing height) and ran a strand of electric fence wire around the outside, maybe 3 inches off the ground and 3 to 4 inches out from the frame.  This was with our first Andy Lee type chicken tractor – not a design I recommend. Now we have Premier electric netting. They make a short 82 foot length, and in 24 and 30” heights that are convenient and “step overable”.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY

Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe