market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pasture chicken run and racoons

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thomas Patrick Hurtgen <hurtgenmeadows AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pasture chicken run and racoons
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:26:34 -0400

How do you find a working dog and how to care for and handle it. Thanks, Tom -- Hillsborough, NC

On Jun 9, 2009, at 9:37 AM, DreamThymeFarm wrote:

Hi everyone,
We just built our pasture chicken run, put the new layer pullets (5
wks) in there and bang, the racoons got three of them! The racoon(s)
dug underneath the frame to seemingly pull them out.

Need ideas for preventing racoons from digging under the chicken run.

Traumatized,
Margaret & David

I can't stress the importance enough about good working farm dogs
when you have livestock.

Get a good dog. I have 11 working dogs on my farm and couldn't run
the farm without them.

Lynne
dreamthymefarm.com