market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New potatoes in the rain

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New potatoes in the rain
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 05:46:02 -0700

How thick does the mulch need to be over the plants, Pat? I have some old
round hay bales I thought I would try, in spite of any potential weed seeds
imparted from them. Unlike you early birds, my spuds planted on 5/23-24 are
just emerging. Do you think I will hurt the plants, if I roll hay on top of
them as they are just coming out of the ground? I formed small hills at
planting with my hilling discs.

Kurt Forman
Clearview Farm
Palmyra, NY 14522