market-farming - [Market-farming] New potatoes in the rain

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Patricia Rupiper <arupiper AT bright.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] New potatoes in the rain
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 04:33:10 -0400

Liz, and others in the rain belt
I have managed to place old straw in the rows and pull up around the potatoes (mind you, I only have 250 plants of fingerlings). When the soil dries a little, I add a thin layer of soil to the straw layer then repeat the layers at another time. The cost of the old straw is cheaper, and really adds organic matter. Makes the potatoes clean and easier to reach. Watch for rotting! It does hold the moisture when the clouds quit dripping. That is why I only use a little soil - some nutrient there for the roots but no mud (straw - clay - water = bricks!), the channel created from removing the soil helps to drain the rows. Mine is all hand work.
On another note - there was a statement that said there existed no GMO tomatoes. I looked on a research list and there are 685 ongoing trials in U.S. alone. So they do exist. Bill, do you know if any are for sale as seeds yet?
Thanks,
Pat Southern Ohio zone 6