market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] market supplies: plastic bags, berry baskets, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] market supplies: plastic bags, berry baskets, etc.
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 23:49:06 -0400

On May 14, 2009, at 10:27 PM, Petersons family wrote:

Here's PakSel's response to that question:
http://www.cellobag.com/sub1.htm

On May 14, 2009, at 6:46 AM, Marty Kraft wrote:

When a boidegradable bag biodegrades what does it biodegrade into and
where does it go?

From the PakSel site:

"Regenerated as a clear, shiny film, with plasticizing chemicals added for flexibility, cellophane is still comprised largely of crystalline cellulose molecules. This means that it can be broken down by micro-organisms in the soil just as leaves and plants are."

My question is: what are the "plasticizers" made of? do they also completely biodegrade, and if so, into what?

I'm too tired to ask them that question right now. (actually, I guess it's two questions.) Maybe I will, another day.