market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] organic thistle control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Chuck Evans" <mongotrout AT mchsi.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] organic thistle control
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:56:16 -0500

You might want to look at this http://attra.ncat.org/new_pubs/attra-pub/thistlecontrol.html?id=Pennsylvania We had these weevils take up residence last year, and they killed almost all of our thistles. I hope that they come back next year. The only problem is that you need to leave the live thistles in the field for the weevils to eat in order to carry over more of the friendly bugs for next year. If you dig or otherwise kill the thistle plants the weevils will disappear. I have seen the weevils for sale on line, but cant remember where.

********************************
We have one field with a tremendous thistle problem and low organic matter.

I applied heavy amounts of compost this week based on the weeds denote imbalance principle.

We also have a spader that can till 10 inches deep.

Any suggestions for strategy? Thanks,

Scott

Scott Breneman
Farm Manager