market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] organic thistle control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] organic thistle control
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:51:58 -0500

The Cornell website has a study on setting back the thistles with vinegar.  The vinegar is applied just as the flower buds are setting when the plant is at its weakest.    I have dug roots 24 inches long and still left a piece in the ground; don't recommend cutting them up...just increases the problem.  Good luck with this weed which we call El Corazon de Diablo...the heart of the devil.  Please keep posting with your results.
Shawnee, enslaved by photosynthesis as usual this time of year