market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] End of Farmers Markets?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: STEVE GILMAN <stevegilman AT verizon.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] End of Farmers Markets?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:21:40 -0400

Hi folks,

I'm really sorry to see that this discredited misinformation is still being given any credence as it continues to fly around the internet. While we all need to be diligent -- blind acceptance of scare-style internet rumors doesn't do small farmers' credibility any good either.

And while clarifications to Rosa DeLauro's bill specifically exempt small scale farmers who direct market (such as Farmers Markets, CSAs, roadside stands, local restaurants) and locally-based wholesale (such as farm to school programs) her bill is not expected to do much in committee. The irony here is that a number of other bills are MUCH more problematic. There's still a long way to go for ANY legislation, however, with plenty of opportunity to constructively work to fashion a positive outcome for small scale farmers.
For an overview please go to: www.nofa.org

Meanwhile, there's not a one of us whose farming operation wouldn't benefit from our own increased attention to food safety measures in our fields, packing sheds and market counters....

thanks,

Steve
Ruckytucks Farm