market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pea Tendrils

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bcluton AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pea Tendrils
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 14:52:22 -0400

We've grown them a bit nothing really to special about growing them.  We plant them densely in bedded format may every 6 inches we let them get up a a foot so and then cut just the tip growth 6 - 8" depending on conditions.  The tips should be tended and not stringy.  If they come across stringy cut shorter tips.  You're looking for just the youngest growth.  By allowing the plant to get up a foot or so you leave enough plant to produce new lateral shoots.  In cooler weather and with good moisture you can continue to cut tips for a few weeks.  As the plants mature you can cut tips with small flowers attached.  Again just be aware of stringiness.  Pea foliage tends to repel water so they actually wash really easily.  We typically pick and pack pea tendrils loose.(like baby lettuce or something)  Be sure to spin them good and dry and get them into cold storage as they can wilt quickly.(they're a pain to keep presentable at market but work well for chefs because you can keep them in cold storage.

We had tried growing pea sprouts.  Which are the first six inches out of the ground.  Super tender.  They don't really regenerate when you cut them that young at least not well from what we found.  The cost of pea seed per the one cutting yield in this fashion didn't work out well enough to continue.

They are delicious.

Brian