market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] fruit trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] fruit trees
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 16:54:42 -0500

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 03:54:06PM -0500, Chuck Evans wrote:
> I got all of my fruit trees from Stark Bros. http://www.starkbros.com
>
> They have done well.
>
> Chuck in Missouri
> Can you all tell me where to get good cherry and plum trees at?

Depends on how many. For 20 or more, you should look at one of the
Tennessee nurseries. Most all commercial growers east of the Rockies
buy out of Tennessee. Haley and HollyDale come to mind, but there are
6-10 big fruit propagators in that area. I have HollyDale contact
information here:
http://austinfarm.org/homegrown/hortsuppliers.html

The most cost effective and probably best type of stock to plant is
bare root. We are past our bare root season here in Texas. You may
not be too late for this year in Missouri. That is, if you get right
on it.

Novice fruit growers tend to buy large stock. Well cared for 18"-24"
stock planted in well prepared ground will surpass larger stock within
two years. And, the holes are easier to dig.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 476 days 10 hours 39 minutes