market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Food Safety vs. insanity

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: juliew026 AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Food Safety vs. insanity
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:34:09 -0400

Misery loves company...so let me share some of the insanity from Massachusetts.
I've had a shellfish aquaculture lease from my town for 20 years growing oysters,hard clams(quahogs), & soft shell clams(steamers).
For a number of years I was able to sell these products at farmers markets in state including Boston City Hall Market.
After selling thousands of pounds of product to happy customers our state adopted new (Fed.) regulations that essentially said that a fresh shellfish was unsafe for the public to purchase because it was not being held below 40 degrees, regardless of the fact what I sold was taken from the water (lease location) the day of the market. Also it became illegal to sell shellfish from a mobile unit retail.....I now must wholesale only

This is a great list serve and I find it very helpful. I live in the agricultural wasteland of outer cape cod where local environmental fundamentalism and the Cape Cod National Seashore as well as property values still exceeding $400,000.00 per acre limit the opportunities for agricultural development. As of last night our town has formed a agriculture task force to look at the future,.
I have access to an acre for veg.farming and I've been growing Shiitake mushrooms for 20 yrs.
I'm waiting to see entries here for both mushroom growing and if anyone here is yet involved in using Bio-Char ?

thanks to all and good luck
Julie Winslow
Cape Coastal Farm Products