market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Food Safety vs. insanity

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Food Safety vs. insanity
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:32:58 -0700 (PDT)

> We are being told by the county health department that we can only
> have eggs at market this year if they are in an electrically powered
> cooler: coleman coolers will no longer be allowed because 'they
> cannot maintain the 41 degree temperature requirement.'
>
> Are the rest of you being affected by this? (Supposedly a recent FDA
> requirement)
>
> I've heard that in other areas coolers have been deemed 'safe.'
>
> Also, I hear there is not one recorded incident of a salmonella egg
> from a farmers market in the history of farmers markets in the USofA.
> (comments?)
>
> Thanks
>
> -Allan in WV
> This edict has just come down on us in Idaho also...so...we've gone from
one of the least regulated states to one of the most!
All of our Health folk have admitted to me that in reality eggs (unwashed)
will hold 6 weeks or more without refrigeration! They are nature's
perfect little package. When we were told last year we were no longer
allowed to sell dried herbs without license and commercial kitchen, I
demanded documentation of one food bourne illness that had been traced to
dried herbs which have been sold at open markets for literally thousands
of years. They admitted there was nothing on record.
All of this has lead to absurd battles between vendors who have been
selling safe, high quality foods for decades and health regulators
threatening to shut the Market down. For me personally who has
volunteered thousands of hours over a decade to build a local food supply,
I'm ready to pack it in in disgust.........Sora in N. Idaho where it's
Still snowing!