market-farming - [Market-farming] Coolbots and insulated floors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Curtis Millsap <cmillsap1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Coolbots and insulated floors
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:29:17 -0700 (PDT)

I've got a coolbot in an insulated 9x11 room. I used 6" blue foam (I believe
Polycyanurate) panels with washable surface attached which I salvaged from an
insulated warehouse which was being demolished should be an R-value of
approximately 42, plus 3.5" of fiberglass batts outside of that in the walls
of the building. I'm overall very pleased with the performance of the
coolbot. I have two issues with my cooler, neither of which are directly
related to coolbot; one is that the AC unit I'm using is one I had sitting
around, and it is only 8,000 btu, so it doesn't keep up with the cooling
demand in warmer (70 and above) weather. I can keep it about 45 throughout
the summer (very warm weather, such as 100+ at times). The second issue is a
contributor to the first, and that is that the floor is an un-insulated slab.
I'm pretty confident that most of the heat I'm fighting is coming up through
the slab, and insulating the floor would probably get the temps
down where I'd like them (35-40) all the time, but I'm just having a hard
time giving up the ease of loading and cleaning the cooler with a continuous
slab floor from the retail area to the cooler... Anyway, as I said, neither
of these problems are a reflection of the Coolbot, which seems to be a great
product, and functions just as advertised. Also, I called the
inventor/marketer twice in the process of setting up my cooler, and he was
always enthusiastic and helpful.

Curtis Millsap
Millsap Farm
Springfield MO