market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Coolbots and insulated floors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Coolbots and insulated floors
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:03:26 -0500

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:29:17 -0700 (PDT), Curtis Millsap wrote:

>The second issue is a
> contributor to the first, and that is that the floor is an un-insulated
>slab.
> I'm pretty confident that most of the heat I'm fighting is coming up through
> the slab, and insulating the floor would probably get the temps
> down where I'd like them (35-40) all the time, but I'm just having a hard
> time giving up the ease of loading and cleaning the cooler with a continuous
> slab floor from the retail area to the cooler

If your cooler room borders on the outside, consider digging a trench against
the outside of the sill, and placing insulation vertically in it. Heat moves
through the soil in all directions, and its worst right at the surface, since
the gradient between your floor and the outside soil is warmest there.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/