market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cooler

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Hendrickson <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cooler
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:52:12 -0500

I do not have a CoolBot but have talked with the guy who sells these (a market farmer himself...a good sign) and learned that one of the biggest keys to getting good results with it is a very well insulated floor. For those that might be nervous about using this, or really needing a 32-33 degree cooler, I think an ideal set-up would be to have two coolers: a conventional cooler kept at 32-33 for things like broccoli, peas, greens, carrots, etc. and then a CoolBot to keep another area at 45-55 for beans, melons, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, squash, etc. Perhaps the conventional cooler could be inside the CoolBot space, so that the conventional cooler would not have to work as hard?

-John

--
John Hendrickson
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems