market-farming - [Market-farming] which plants to start in which cell size

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz" <liz AT horseshoegardens.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] which plants to start in which cell size
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:08:18 -0400

This is the first time I've had the luxury of full greenhouse equipment to get plants started early.  Following family suggestions I've started some things using 20 row flats, tranplanting up to 72s & 48s, and some things were started directly in 72s & 48s. I'm trying to maximize efficiency while keeping plants healthy without having to transplant up too often especially since we're nearing time things can start to be planted out (with some protection).  I've already decided I hate tranplanting up ; )) so avoiding it has moved up in my priorities.

What cell sizes should I be using for what varieties??  And are there any publications out with guidelines about this??  Any hints to speed up the tranplant process are greatly appreciated!!!

Liz Pike
Horseshoe Gardens.com
Hillsville VA
zone 6b/7a