market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] seed starting supplies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seed starting supplies
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 10:05:33 -0600

Greetings,
I used my old waterbed heater last year, you wouldn't believe what it did to my electric bill. I have used a pig blanket, which is waterproof, but it only heats 2 trays.
This year I have an insulated box, made with 1/2" foam board, a full size electric blanket, folded in half lengthwise, that holds 7 flats. It has 2 layers of black plastic over the blanket and taped to the sides. Uses about 79 watts constant, so not too bad to run. If it is cold in the building, leave the lid on, if it gets warm, leave it off. I have yet to see it overheat, which everything else does. Or, many of the propagation mats require an ambient temperature of 70F. We heat with wood and our temperatures change depending on outside temp, time of day, am I home or not. The electric blanket is proving to be the most reliable of all that I have used.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

Marie Kamphefner wrote:

I have been looking for an old waterbed mattress with heater to use for seed starting. A fellow at one of the conferences was talking about using one for that.