market-farming - [Market-farming] Oats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pam Twin Oaks" <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Oats
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:54:35 -0500

I use oats as a cover crop and recently switched to buying only
organic seed, because the non-organic contains canola seed, which I
think is probably GMO and could easily seed and contaminate the farm,
and possibly even cross-pollinate some cruciferous weeds. I got tired
of wading through the garden pulling up yellow flowers. So, that's
another point to think about if buying oats to grow to seed - canola
will shed seed long before your oats are mature.

Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, central Virginia, zone 7, bracing for cold weather.

  • [Market-farming] Oats, Pam Twin Oaks, 01/15/2009