market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Oats and Wheat Seeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Oats and Wheat Seeds
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:33:47 -0500

Again, this depends on where you buy the animal-quality oats. When I was in the feed business, the oats that we flaked and rolled for our horse feed were imported from Canada or the Scandinavian countries because of the superior quality. Basically you've got domestic oats and foreign "heavy" oats, and the difference is indeed very striking.
My assumption always was that the difference was due to growing environment, not underlying genetics--after all, if Canada has a better cultivar of oat, why don't we just start growing that variety and save the shipping costs? But i could be all wet. This would be an interesting thing to find out. Depending on quantity you need, the difference in price between a feed store and healthfood store could be pretty hefty.

Bill Huhman
central Ohio, zip 43164