market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering root crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering root crops
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 18:40:36 -0500

I pulled some at home and let them sit for awhile, only to have them dry out and get soft, although they still cooked up nicely. Mmm Mmm, good!

Kurt Forman Clearview Farm Palmyra, NY 14522

Rutabagas got a late start here , planted right into the only dry 2 weeks we had this year so there were 3 -3 row beds 50 feet long where I only dug a pick up load and left those the size of a wrist or smaller. I was by there yesterday and the deer have the icy snow broken up and looking like a cow feed lot, and not a "turnip' anywhere; I am wondering how much mulch they would have dug through!

The bushell I brought to the cellar I waxed with parafin, first time, and because I had time and found the wax that DB had for making those whipped wax christmas widgets.
Unwaxed controls were starting to soften mid December, the waxed are as firm as when dug, there are a few with just a bit of new growth starting at the stem I am cooking those first.

MAsteveINE