market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Trellising Cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Mae Friedline <DarlingHillCommunityFarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Trellising Cucumbers
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:11:28 -0500

Hi,
We have been growing cukes (slicers, pickling and japanese) on trellis for a few years with good results.

We thin to a 6 inch spacing, set 6', 1"x1" wooden grade stakes about a foot into the ground.  The stakes are pre-drilled with a through hole at about a foot and a half from the bottom (winds up 1/2 foot above soil once the stakes are set), and at the top.  We then thread 1/8" steel cable through the top and bottom holes, the top cable gets cable clamped to shorter stakes driven down into ground on the row ends.  Then we go through and tie vertical line made out of sisal at six inch spacing and train each runner to the vertical.  Our row length is 80 to 100 feet.  At the end of the season the verticals and the vines cut of the cables fairly easily and we can compost the whole lot.  The stakes last mostly 2 years, the cable and clamps longer.  The cost of consumables (sisal) is cheaper than the plastic disposable mesh but the labor makes it about equal.  We do it mostly because it is compostable and we don't have to burn or rip off vines from more permanent wire (livestock panels).  It also looks pretty.  We were inspired by a photo in a seed catalog.  We have used it with a tighter spacing for pole beans.

hope this helps

Zebadiah and Leigh Mae Co-Farmers
Darling Hill Community Farm
Southern NH, Zone 6