market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] planting garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynn AT pcisys.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] planting garlic
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:31:13 -0600

I’m thinking about increasing our garlic (and onion) plantings and just ran across this study on winter mulch and irrigation methods last week in my research:

http://www.specialtycrops.colostate.edu/scp_exp_demo/garlic_2003_wntr_mulch.htm

A couple key points:

*       As long as the garlic is adequately watered, any of the mulches tried were better than bare soil.

*       Regardless of irrigation treatment, bare ground (no mulch) produced the fewest large bulbs and the most small bulbs. This difference was statistically significant for all irrigation treatments.

Marcy

SE Colorado, zone 5