market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] planting garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] planting garlic
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:00:22 -0500

I also mulch all alliums as heavily as I can as soon as they are planted.  None of them compete well with weeds, and the even moisture/temperature level under the mulch is worth the extra labor/expense at harvest time.  I set the cloves by Halloween usually-occasionally as late as the first week of November in Northern Illinois-3 or 4 inches apart because I will pull every other plant in the spring for garlic scallions.   The beds are mulched with 8-12 inches spoiled straw.  I confess to having to buy a few pounds of new sets every season because I can't properly discipline my appetite for home grown, organic garlic, so fresh that it sings when I slice it.  Shawnee, zone 5 more or less.