market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Edamame

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Edamame
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:11:08 GMT

OK, I asked about Edamame, and I thought I'd let those who are interested
know how we did. I picked them Friday night. Used pruners to cut the plant
off at the ground. Picked about 3 bushels fairly quick. Brought them in the
house and started pulling beans off plants. Took hours. But, not too bad.
Probably had a bushel of sale-able beans. Some pods not filled out, some had
yellowed, some the critters had chewed on, etc...
Sold out. $3.00 a pint and we sold out. The seed was more expensive than what
we are used to paying, but we didn't put them on drip and sort of left them
to fend for themselves. So, as far as growing, very easy. The only tedious
labor was in pulling the beans off and sort of making a mess in the house,
but, it beat the heck out of being outside in the 95+ heat.
We did several plantings so I'm anxious to see if this was a one hit wonder
or if sales will hold. At any rate, it was nice to have something different
at market when our sales are typical sagging.
Carla
Perkins, OK

Click here to find the satellite television package that meets your needs.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3mzvz7nFSMj9prFG6Ihp7dET7GjYFNp0tdCaocC4LpoTvG1m/