market-farming - [Market-farming] parsnips words of caution

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ploughshare" <gjbrever AT midwestinfo.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] parsnips words of caution
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:52:18 -0500

Last week our interns were weeding in a bed of parsnips in the middle of the day. A couple days later they had a rash all over their arms along with blisters. I did not know this before, but parsnips have the same properties as wild parsnips and the oils will interact with the sun causing this reaction. Pass it along so that no one else has to learn by trial by fire on this one
I guess if you are going to weed and thin larger parnsip plants it's best to wait until the middle of the night and then wash thoroughly afterwards.
--gary brever