market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mulch Question and Request for Advice

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JaMaKaEnterprise AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mulch Question and Request for Advice
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 06:34:35 EDT

Hi,
We bought 18 acres last year in SE GA. The soil is sand. The acreage is full of prickly pear cacti and sand burrs. I am looking for ways of adding natural materials to the soil to improve it. I haven't found a large manure source yet but now am getting trailer loads of grass clippings from the park/recreation department in my local small town. I also got 2 large trailer loads of leaves from the city. I am using these 2 sources as mulch between my vegetable rows. The grass clippings are fresh so I am careful not to get them too close to plants because the layer I'm putting down is deep enough that heating takes place. I also use worm castings in planting holes and around plants. Little by little I will build this soil.
Another source of mulch is newspaper or shredded paper. Look for large businesses or offices that generate lots of wastes.
MaryKay
SE GA