market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mulch Question and Request for Advice

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mulch Question and Request for Advice
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 08:19:45 -0400

You mentioned reusing mulch chips. How would that be done without mixing it
with dirt?

Sorry, I reuse the landscape fabric, not the wood chips.

How about the size of the chips. Seems like that would cause
problems if plowed under each year. The idea was to make them small and
plowing them under. I've heard that too much organic material, like stalks
and the like, will tie up the soils nitrogen for a year or so making it hard
to grow anything until the material has decomposed. Know anything about
that?

That's why a tried, more heavily, the sawdust and shavings. Its a lot more fine and be easily tilled into the ground or mixed with other compost when the season is done. Not too sure if it will actually work that way or not, but we'll see.

The chipped wood takes for ever to break down. I much with it around our trees because it does not break down as quickly.

As mentioned in my original post, I have plenty of elm and mesquite wood
available for mulching. Anyone know of a good pto chipper that will handle
about 10" logs? Also need a good splitter.

Been looking for one myself. I'll let you know when I decide. :)

10", for me gets turned into firewood.

We have a Woodmizer bandmill, so we use just about everything except the brush. Normally I make small brush pile around the perimeter of our farm that is not along the road to make a sort of fence and provide cover for small animals and birds. I'd like to use all the tree when we cut one down to make stall boards or beams, but that is another cost...one more on a long list.

Cheers!

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio