market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Salmonella

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: <michelleann7 AT yahoo.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Salmonella
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 07:01:02 -0700

Third party certification is not organic certification its even more strict
and demanding. The USDA established a set of best management practices for
hygienic growing and handling of produce that when followed would greatly
reduce the dangers of food borne illness and contamination. USDA inspectors
are trained to audit farms and approve certification. All large fruit and
vegetable farms in the USA are in the program and in the near future all
farms large and small who want to sell into the wholesale market will have to
be certified. Only direct marketers and farm stands would be exempt... Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.