market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] pH testers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] pH testers
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 09:04:23 -0400

Ah, but isn't this one of the big reasons we all do market growing (besides the big money of course!) ? The everlasting chase after the perfect season. The more we know, the more we want/need to know and no season is the same. What a challenge! What fun! (Well, most of the time. I do wish it would stop raining long enough to get some crops in the ground)

Ran into a woman yesterday who says she had 800lbs of spuds rot in the ground this season. 10 inches of rain in the past 10 days. Our blue spuds seem to be at about 30% loss, but the rest seem 'ok.' We've got standing water where I've never seen it before, though. None on crops...yet... (had to take the pump out of the creek, though! Of course, we don't need it there.... -Allan in WV