market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Scallions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Scallions
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 23:18:36 -0400

On May 10, 2008, at 1:54 PM, Ploughshare wrote:

Normally we plant our extra garlic left over from the winter and some the
extra seed that did not get into the ground from our main fall planting as
early in the spring as possible giving us garlic scallions in June. This
year up in central MN everything's been delayed(we had 15 inches of snow
just 2 weeks ago) so I haven't gotten to focusing on our spring planting
until now. I'm not positive about the vitality of our garlic right now so I
don't want to spend much ground space and time on our spring planting this
year. It got me thinking though... wouldn't it work out just as well for
our spring planting to plant the entire garlic bulb instead of the clove?
It seems like the results would be similar to when we plant our onions 3
seeds to a cell. They'll be much easier to harvest as well.
I don't see any problems in doing this. Has anyone else tried this?
--gary

I tried this some years ago, and had poor results; if I remember right, the problem was erratic growth, so that some of cloves in the bulb were well grown and ready to harvest while others were still quite small; and of course with it planted that way it wasn't possible to harvest the bigger ones and leave the small ones for another time (at least without replanting the little ones after pulling them out, and thus setting them back even further).

I wouldn't want to wait too much longer before setting them out; they're day length sensitive, and you need the tops to be ready for greens before they start sending energy down into the bulbs, which they'll do when the day length is right even if they're still quite small; and then the greens won't be of as good quality. At any rate, that's my experience.