market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Selling Lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Selling Lettuce
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:30:10 -0400

I raise mostly leaf lettuce (mixed colors and varieties...very pretty in a
bag). I package in clear plastic bags closed with twist-ties, with my
label on the bag. My bags hold about a pound, but it's sold by the bag,
since I don't have a legal scale.

I've found that there is a real trick to keeping leaf lettuce fresh in a
bag. I wash it well in cold water, then put it loosely in perferated tubs
in the refrigerator to drain. After about 2 hours in the fridge it's the
right moisture content to bag. I eat my leftover lettuce, and I've had it
stay good for over a week packed that way. Too dry, and it wilts fast; too
wet and it gets slimy.

It's difficult keeping it cool at market; if the bag sits on ice, the
lettuce on the bottom freezes. I've put towels between the ice and the
bags. Also, people don't see my signs (no matter how big I make them)
that are for things in the coolers; if a product isn't right in their
face, they overlook it.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Cowbridge Farm
Tioga County, PA