market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Selling Lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Janet Bachmann <janetb AT ncat.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Selling Lettuce
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:27:15 -0500

I do not grow lots of lettuce, but what I so grow for farmers' market sales is a mix, cut when it is about 3-5 inches, rinsed twice and spun dry. I have a nice electronic scale that I use at home to weigh and bag up 1/2 pounds of lettuce before going to market. At the market, I sell the lettuce at so much per bag, no weight given. Other growers at the same market also sell by bag, bunches, or heads.
Janet Bachmann
Fayetteville, AR

Richard Stewart wrote:
I am curious how some of you sell your lettuce both how you package it and how you weigh/measure it.

This is my first year of selling at market and I I simply cannot wrap my brain around it.

I am trying to avoid using a scale right and use "amounts" our bunches.

Any advice or insight would be very much appreciated.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855