market-farming - [Market-farming] Storage Ideas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ploughshare" <gjbrever AT midwestinfo.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Storage Ideas
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 13:12:48 -0600

Toni-
We have tried sand in the past. But for as many carrots as we have to store it ends up being more of a hassle(with a mess) than benefit. The carrots are touching one another. The plastic around the bin (similar to putting them in a large plastic bag) does a good job of retaining the humidity and hence the crispness.
What I have found is that we use a lot more of our produce up through out the winter either for our own selves or for selling because the produce is more easy to get to. I am also more confident in being able to sell produce because I can easily check the quality of our bins of carrots or other produce. It is more difficult when the produce is covered with sand.
I think these are important points to make with our storage CSA member customers as well. Many times folks feel intimidated to make a large purchase of winter storage vegetables because they think they need to have a special root cellar. But because we deliver our storage CSA shares after October 15th most of the vegetables will store fairly well in any kind of room that stays above freezing (such as an insulated garage).
--Gary