market-farming - [Market-farming] storage ideas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ploughshare" <gjbrever AT midwestinfo.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] storage ideas
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 12:41:16 -0600

John,
I keep our carrots, rhutabagas and other like root crops in plastic totes with a liner of plastic around them. I also keep our cabbage and potatoes in totes without plastic. They all keep pretty well in our walk-in cooler through out the winter (the potatoes only do fair). It's only days like today (-15degrees) that really requires a bit of supplemental heat. and just a small heater will do. If I was really picky about humidity I might run our humidifier(especially for the spuds). Our onions and winter squash I keep in our heated garage at about 55 degrees. The onions do great through out the winter. The squash does fair but this is only because every year ( I mean every year for the past 5 years) our furnace has seemed to go out and it ends up being on the coldest days of the year.

One other note: last year I got a tip from John Fisher-Merritt (sp?) that washing carrots before storing them does NOT seem to reduce the storage life of the carrots by too long. I tried it the past two years and have been very happy to be able to go out to our cooler and have carrots without a bunch of dirt on them.
--gary brever
ploughshare farm
225 member CSA
central MN