market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] vacuum & template flat seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Janet Bachmann <janetb AT ncat.org>
  • To: Steve Diver <steved AT ipa.net>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] vacuum & template flat seeder
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:26:52 -0600

Steve, you sweetie! I guess I owe you a beer! Next time you are in town--or I'm in Austin. BTW, you should look up my cousin Jon Hahn the drummer. He is playing with the Howlers.
J.

Steve Diver wrote:
Hi Janet -

Here's some quick references / links / ideas:

Instructions for Building Poor Boy Tobacco Seeders
University of Tennessee
http://tobacco.tennessee.edu/research/poorboy.html
_____ Basically a homemade version of sliding plexi-glass template seeder; see pics
Also see:

ABC Quick Seeder
http://www.abcquickseeder.com/
_____ sliding acrylic templates; seeder system
Seed E-Z Seeder http://www.sezsdr.com/prod.htm
_____ small vacuum seeder

The good news for market farmers is that you're
back working for ATTRA.
Very best regards,

Steve Diver Texas

Janet Bachmann wrote

Somewhere I saw a construction plan for making a box-shaped, vacuum powered seeder. It included a plate with holes that corresponded to cells in flats, and sized so that seeds would not pass through the holes. When a vacuum was applied to one side of the plate, a seed would be held to each hole. The plate would then be held over the flat, vacuum shut off, and the seeds would fall into place. A number of dealers have vacuum seeders for sale, but I would like to find the make-it-yourself plan.