market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] voles in the hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] voles in the hoophouse
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:24:35 -0500

Talk about mental images :)

Back when I was raising turkeys, we had to be careful not to leave a bucket sitting among young turkeys that was less than full, because young birds would fly to the lip, and then get pushed in and smothered. I've pulled way too many young poults out of a bucket. Chicks never did that...but then, the only thing dumber than a turkey, they say, is somebody trying to raise them. We were raising 200-300,000 turkeys per year on that farm. The owner just sold the 840 acres, south of Columbia, MO,  to a developer ...it'll be houses and strip malls soon, I reckon.
This is progress??

Bill Huhman
central Ohio,

I think I remember somebody on this list talk about making a trap with a mix of oatmeal and molasses in a bucket, with a ramp from the ground to the lip of the bucket. I think the idea was that the critters would go up the ramp, jump into the bucket to get to the goo and then find themselves trapped, with no alternative but to eat their way into vole heaven as they sank in the muck.

 Dave in West Virginia