market-farming - [Market-farming] voles in the hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "courtney mcleod" <sunmoonriver AT windstream.net>
  • To: "Market farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] voles in the hoophouse
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:29:40 -0500

I had asked this awhile back and the best suggestion given and agreed on was trapping the critters.  Eliot Coleman does this also I think I read in his book years ago.

Courtney

Herb Thyme

Middlefield, Oh

Does anybody have suggestions for getting rid of an infestation of voles in a hoophouse?

I think I remember somebody on this list talk about making a trap with a mix of oatmeal and molasses in a bucket, with a ramp from the ground to the lip of the bucket. I think the idea was that the critters would go up the ramp, jump into the bucket to get to the goo and then find themselves trapped, with no alternative but to eat their way into vole heaven as they sank in the muck.

Does anybody remember this, or have any other suggestions?

Dave in West Virginia