market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] organic standards for cleaning out conventional boom sprayer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] organic standards for cleaning out conventional boom sprayer
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:45:12 -0500

On Feb 19, 2008, at 8:09 AM, no one wrote:

We recently purchased a formerly conventional boom sprayer for use with possibly some biodynamic sprays and definitely compost tea and some other liquid nutrients.  I would like to do a 1-time conversion to organic with the sprayer, but have no idea what the organic standards require (we're not actually certified - but I believe in the standards).  I'm also concerned about a quantity of dry whitish material on the bottom of the tank - how would I safely get rid of what ever it is?  The sprayer was used for round-up for weed control on berries and small fruits - I don't know if any other materials were used in it.  I have no experience with conventional stuff - should I be wearing rubber gloves, respirator, etc?
Thanks much for any input!

I'd approach this thing with great caution if you have no idea what's been in there. I think that what you need to clean it with depends on what's been in it. If you can find out what's been in it, then you might be able to find out how to clean it by contacting the manufacturers of those materials.

You might also be able to get advice from a certification agency even though you're not certified; try calling one operating in your area and asking them. -- I can't find the overall recommendations of NOFA-NY LLC certifying agency, though they do claim to have some; but they do say in the general standards manual that "cleaning should include the replacement of nozzle, tubing, and screening".