market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] snow loads on greenhouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <lists AT seasonseatingsfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] snow loads on greenhouses
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:09:56 -0500

We've had 86" of snow, three or four sleet and freezing rain days,
snow/sleet/freezing rain/down pours and whatever else you can make of that
mix. Will whomever pissed off the snow fairy please apologize before it
starts to snow again tomorrow.

Sometimes just closing the door hard will create a chain reaction clear the
greenhouse. Gotta love days like that. I start at the bottom and push
against the poly with a dust mop (no sharp edges). On a good day the snow
will slide from the bottom up between each rib. I try to get out there
before it gets above freezing inside. As soon as the snow starts to melt it
doesn't slide off as easily as it does on dry poly. I've given the poly
some good taps to get it moving and not left a mark.

As of yesterday's 6" of snow followed by 2" of rain I'm officially sick of
winter.

Robin Follette
Seasons Eatings Farm
Talmadge Maine 04492