market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] snow loads on greenhouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] snow loads on greenhouses
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:26:52 -0800

Would love to hear other folks methodology as well. I've tried the bounce
from inside method and it seemed I had to shake/pound the dickens out of
things to get the snow to slide off. And if there was a bit of melt/freeze
that didn't work at all.
I've ended up getting a pole (store bought w/screw on head) I can attach a
push broom head to and adjust to 10-15 feet in length. That allows me to
reach the peak and pull the snow down on each side. Not perfect but
easier/quicker than banging the heck out of it on the inside. Only problem
is trying to get to the side that is close (3 feet away) to the next
greenhouse. Hard to get in that narrow space and maneuver the pole. At that
point I have to switch to a short handle, not near as effective at getting
all the way to the peak. I have one house heated (minimally), one not, but
it doesn't seem to make any difference in a good snow---which we are
starting to get on a regularly alarming basis in recent years.

Kate
Zone 7
Western Washington