market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato cages

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Krystle Chung" <learning AT selfmadefarmer.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato cages
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:01:56 -0700

I've worked with cages made from concrete mesh as well. They were 6 feet tall and about 1.5 feet in diameter. There were 80-100 cages at work, with two tomato plants per cage (and a few tomatillos in there as well). We lined up the cages on the rows, being careful not to let the wire pierce the drip tape, anchored the cages down tightly with three stakes (get strong winds out here in the desert), put in the transplants, wrapped the cages with remay fabric, and secured with clothespins. The fabric was removed when temperatures started to hit 100 degrees F. Until then, it gave the tomatoes a head start (protection from winds at night) and also hid the plants from the leaf hoppers that take up residence in the wild mustard that grows around here.

Here are some pictures of the process from the photo album:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/mysterioushorizons/Prepping/DSC05195.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/mysterioushorizons/Prepping/DSC05193.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/mysterioushorizons/Prepping/DSC05254.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/mysterioushorizons/Planting/DSC05304.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/mysterioushorizons/Planting/DSC05351.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/mysterioushorizons/Growing/DSC05297.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/mysterioushorizons/Growing/DSC05298.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/mysterioushorizons/Growing/DSC05671.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/mysterioushorizons/Growing/DSC05999.jpg

Hope this helps.

Best,

Krystle
http://www.SelfmadeFarmer.com
Mesilla Valley, NM

On Feb 5, 2008 8:46 AM, Sharon and Steve <shopkins AT tdstelme.net> wrote:
After about 10 minutes with one of those store bought inverted cone cages we
decided they were several ntothes less than useless and proceeded to make
our own.

>From a roll of 6 x 6  #9 concrete re-wire we cut the center horizontal wire,
the resulting strip was then cut at the 14th verticle wire and this was
formed to a circle and hooked with the spikes left from cutting. This made
the cage which is about 2 feet diameter and 2 feet high, with 13 - 6 inch
spikes at the bottom which go into the soil as anchors.

These cages were covered in spring with 3 wide poly attached using 6d nails
as if they were straight pins, the extra left loose at the top. Early they
were set over broccoli and cabbage, later they were moved to tomato and
peppers, (2 plants per cage) and as the weather demanded, the top poly was
adjusted closed or open. When true warm weather arrived the plastic covers
were removed and stored.

Worked well for us, I still have, and use, most of the cages after 20+
years, but most of our tomato production has moved into the greenhouse, and
if I needed more I would use the highly temporary type hoop house season
extender.

MAsteveINE