market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato cages

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato cages
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:46:57 -0500

After about 10 minutes with one of those store bought inverted cone cages we decided they were several ntothes less than useless and proceeded to make our own.

From a roll of 6 x 6 #9 concrete re-wire we cut the center horizontal wire,
the resulting strip was then cut at the 14th verticle wire and this was formed to a circle and hooked with the spikes left from cutting. This made the cage which is about 2 feet diameter and 2 feet high, with 13 - 6 inch spikes at the bottom which go into the soil as anchors.

These cages were covered in spring with 3 wide poly attached using 6d nails as if they were straight pins, the extra left loose at the top. Early they were set over broccoli and cabbage, later they were moved to tomato and peppers, (2 plants per cage) and as the weather demanded, the top poly was adjusted closed or open. When true warm weather arrived the plastic covers were removed and stored.

Worked well for us, I still have, and use, most of the cages after 20+ years, but most of our tomato production has moved into the greenhouse, and if I needed more I would use the highly temporary type hoop house season extender.

MAsteveINE