market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 61, Issue 2

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Huntingfool306 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 61, Issue 2
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:16:16 EST

Re: Bringing ground back into production

You could try no-till farming. Essentially you grow a cover crop and at the time when the crop is just ready to seed you can either bend and break the crop with a "Crimper" or you can use an herbicide to kill the cover crop. Then you seed right through the cover crop and it becomes your mulch.You can make these implements  yourself or in some cases there are ones for loan. We live in a water shed and the no-till method is being encouraged for many reasons. You use less  It is a win- win situation. No-till should be cheaper for the farmer because you use less fertilizer, herbicide and water- there is also less labor involved so in theory lower pass role and fuel costs .

No till is also better for the water shed since there is much less run off. Since you never till you improve your soil health by increasing organic matter and decreasing soil compaction. No-till is sustainable but not necessarily organic. We tool a free class though  extent ion you may find one around your nearest watershed.

Here are a few links:

have a great day,

Ted and Sue Swart
Catskill Organics Farm
NY zone 4

  • Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 61, Issue 2, Huntingfool306, 02/05/2008