market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] corn gluten

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] corn gluten
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:02:17 -0600

I think according to the labeling regulation for processed food, to
label it certified organic it has to have 95% certified organic
ingredients. Certified organic labeling for the corn would preclude
using GMO seed, so although there could be some GMO contamination in
organic corn, it should be minimal, and deliberately seeded GMO corn
from GMO seed could not be certified organic. I know, convoluted
answer, but basically, no. Even if using the labeling 'made with
organic ingredients', a product like corn bread would necessarily use
certified organic corn which would not be GMO unless contaminated from a
nearby GMO cornfield.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm