market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] corn gluten

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] corn gluten
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:50:12 -0600 (CST)

Mark... I have been growing BT sweetcorn for the last 4 years with no
synthetic pesticides applied and the BT gene is totally natural. Therefore if
the corn was grown organically it should be organic.
The reason why its not organic has nothing to do with nature, its all
politics. But rules are rules so if you are certified organic you don't use
anything GMO. I really don't know how you could aquire non gmo gluten unless
the demand becomes great enough to make it pay for a processer to sell it...
Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

How about using organically grown GMO gluten for a herbicide? Just curious.
Isn't GMO corn chemically the same as any other corn, only with slightly
different proportions? I would think so. After all, if grown organically,
it's made with the same soil nutrients and sunshine as any other organic
corn, its just had its DNA programmed to arrange those nutrients
differently. And why shouldn't we have organically grown GMO corn that's
labeled as organic? Organic, as far as I know, pertains to the way it's
grown, not the result of it's growth. Can't you have organic Nightshade?
Isn't the Cyanide from organically grown peach pits still organic? I think
so. I can't see how using organically grown GMO corn gluten for a herbicide
could violate any organic standards. But hey, I could be wrong. Logic
doesn't always meet legal standards. :)

TxBeeFarmer (Mark)
West Texas Zone 7b