market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pre-emergents

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pre-emergents
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:58:28 -0500

You may want to consider using a heavy straw mulch. I have used heavy straw mulch with strawberries, cucurbits, tomatoes, peppers, squash, garlic and several other crops for several years now and it has really cut down on weeding. At first we broke the bales by hand and spread them. Now we have a straw chopper that we use to spread the straw. I put down several inches of straw and it seems to provide a good barrier to the weeds and also helps a lot with moisture retention in the soil. If the straw isn't real clean, you may end up with some wheat and weed seedlings from the straw. These will be easy to pull because they won't be rooted in the soil. The straw is tilled in at the end of the season and I plant a cover on the tilled beds. By spring there is hardly any straw residue left.
Andy

cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:
We are looking into using plastic mulch this year. We've put it off because we didn't want to deal with pulling it up at the end of the season, but our weed problem is really getting out of control. Carla
Perkins, OK