market-farming - [Market-farming] Biodegradable Mesh Tubing?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jerry and Marienne <kreitlow AT cmgate.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Biodegradable Mesh Tubing?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:43:15 -0600

Hi folks,

I use plastic mesh tubing for packaging my garlic and onions. We do everything from small packages with two garlic up to 10# bags, all with our own farm label sealing the top of the bag. We like that we have a selection of colors (red, green, purple) to differentiate varieties, and we like that the customer can clearly see what they're getting. But we don't like that the mesh is not the most environmentally friendly material.

My question: is there an alternative material? Something that would still give us product visibility, be as easy to use in assembling the packages, and have a lighter "footprint"? Is there such as thing as organic cotton mesh net tubing? Or biodegradable corn or soybean plastic mesh?

Thanks for your help!

Jerry Ford
Living Song
Howard Lake, MN