market-farming - [Market-farming] Got hope?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ploughshare" <gjbrever AT midwestinfo.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Got hope?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 22:11:21 -0600

The RCD that I referenced is indeed an initiative of NRCS. I know I mentioned what we went through on this list serve in the past year. There was also a brief article this past summer in Growing for Market about it. It also continues to be one of the lead stories in our local newspaper. It was a situation where the executive director of our local RCD lied to our farm and other businesses about us receiving thousands of dollars worth of grants for our Food for Folk Project (an initiative that gets food from local farmers to organizations working with low income folks). It just sucks... I have had a long battle in order to try to get justice in this situation. No one is willing to take responsibility... not NRCS, not the board members of this RCD. This RCD signed a judgement this past May with the MN Attorney General's office that agreed that they owe us over $45k, but still we have not been paid. The executive director of this RCD is now facing 3 felony counts of fraud because of what she did. However, she had a hearing two weeks ago where she received an extension for her trial so that she can receive a psychological evaluation to figure out if she is fit to stand trial. The whole thing definately took the wind out of my sails, and I continue to try to recover financially and mentally from it all. .
I hope bringing up this does not derail the good discussion that's happening on this list serve. It's really important for me to really to move forward from the past two years.(the only way that can really occur though is when WesMin RCD finally pays us the thousands it owes).
So, its a lot of things going on in life at the same time. At times it does seem overwhelming. Sometimes that "regular" job that Lynn was talking about looks very inviting ,and I wonder if it would be better to get out now while I am still young. Today I'm feeling like that 's not where I'm at though. I have put too much time, energy, and financial investment into our business. We have built up a good reputation with the coops that we sell wholesale to and have built up a pretty stable customer base. I'm not quite ready to give that up. In addition, there are a tremendous aspects of farming that I love and take pride in--(i.e. working a plot of land that I can call my own). In some respects I can see some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. I think we have much of the equipment and infrastructure that we will need for some time (of course, I did not think we would be buying a new greenhouse this year until ours got smooshed by a heavy load of snow in December). I am more confident about growing vegetables than I had ever been in the past. And at least I know what to expect from the season.
I think a good strategy for me at this time might be to practice more detatchment from our operation. I know I can survive this next year... and I must reassure myself that if I do decide at a later point that I should no longer be farming, that will be ok too and things will work out
--gary.
ploughsharefarm.com