market-farming - [Market-farming] Building Food Production Into Land Use Planning

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Growing Growers Discussion List <growerskc AT lists.oznet.ksu.edu>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Building Food Production Into Land Use Planning
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:01:01 -0600

I would like to know what city governments can do to make it easier for small scale food producers to be successful. What we find out for our city could have application elsewhere.

As chair of the Local Foods Committee of the Environmental Management Commission I am looking to explore the factors that would facilitate local food production in and around Kansas City. The emphasis would be on yard gardens and small scale producers. The effort should encourage ecologically sustainable methods.

We could look at codes and zoning policies, land taxes or other ways to encourage food production. We could also look into gardening educational programs that the city might promote or sponsor that could reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Our findings will be submitted to the Environmental Management Commission and could find their way into the City's Climate Protection Process.

Much of our work could be done by email with an occasional meeting.

If you are interested in participating please let me know. Or just send the information you think would help with a request not to be included in further emails to your personal accounts.

Thanks

Marty Kraft

  • [Market-farming] Building Food Production Into Land Use Planning, Marty Kraft, 01/25/2008