market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed starting greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed starting greenhouse
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:09:51 -0500

We have a woodstove in the basement so most of the time it is in the 60s at least, but here is what I am toying with this year. Our furnace boiler is down there also, and there are both return and outflow release faucets. I am thinking of hooking up hosing to run under an 8 x 8 plant table, with 400 w metal halide light overhead. Hot water would flow anytime we used hot water or hot water flowed to house heat, anytime the circulator pump came on. (I am getting real tired of flickering and burnt out flourescent tubes, and adjusting the height.) My actual concern is it being too hot. I could manually control it by turning the faucet to only let a little out. I could also just run the hose under half of the table so that the bottom heat was less for some.

The other issue is having a few plants (onions) that should be shorter day, but onions are pretty cold hardy and I think I could just put them out in the unheated hoophouse once they were up, under row cover, and they should be fine?????

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used."  - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Francis Moore Lappe